Keeping Little Tummies Topped Up
12th July 2018
Snacks play an important role in the diet as it’s hard for little ones to get all the nutrients they need just from main meals. This is because they’ve only got small tummies and so need to eat regularly. 3 meals a day and 2 snacks is a useful pattern to follow, but do be led by your little one and never force them to eat, and be guided by their appetite.
Being physically active every day is vital for the healthy growth and development of babies, toddlers and preschoolers. By encouraging children to make nutritious food choices when snacking they will be fuelled well and provided with an energy boost to keep them going until their next meal.
Top tips for good snacking:
- It’s good to encourage at least 5 different fruits and vegetables each day and snack time is a good opportunity to have them eat a portion, to make reaching that goal a little easier. 40g of fruit or vegetables is a portion. Kiddylicious Fruit Wriggles, Smoothie Melts and Fruit Crisps each provide 1 of their 5 a day.
- Starchy carbohydrate foods (e.g. bread, rice, oats) can make a good snack especially wholegrain varieties as they provide energy and fibre. Kiddylicious Rice Cakes contain wholegrain rice and the Oaty Bars contain wholegrain oats.
- Consider the time you offer a snack to your little one. Don’t offer it too close to a meal time so that they are hungry enough to eat their next meal. Also be mindful of portion size; the nutrition information on Kiddylicious snacks represents the amount in the pack which can be consumed in one sitting, so you don’t need to worry about your little one having multiple servings by mistake.
- In hot weather when you’re outside it’s best to carry ambient food and snacks that won’t deteriorate in the heat (unless you’ve got a cool bag!), all of which Kiddylicious products are.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
We are in Coop and Lloyds Pharmacy!
We are pleased to announce that our YUMMY snacks are now available in Coop and Lloyds Pharmacy! We have launched…
How playtime helps your little one’s development
How playtime helps your little one’s development Dr Jacqueline Harding MA Cert Ed SFHEA Little ones love to…
Our Top Tips this Easter
Snack Right this Easter It’s Spring, which means two things - Easter and warmer weather. And with warm weather comes…
Your Weaning Questions Answered
1. What should I feed my 13 month old to help him gain weight? Hi there, I don’t know your…